Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wild Blackberries

On our evening walks the kids and I had begun to notice these branches in the ditch line beside some of the neighboring property. On these branches were the fuchsia beginnings of wild blackberries.

I told them that they would soon be ripe and we could pick some. Tonight was that night. (here would be a good time to point out that the neighboring property is my dads, we aren't picking blackberries off of some random persons land)

I grabbed two little bowls and we headed down the road

Olivia was riding, but don't be fooled, she was excited about the "bewies" too.
<---------look at her sweet little feet

Makayla and Cameron arrived at the bush before I did, and I could be heard saying "DON'T PICK THE PINK ONES! Only pick the BLACK ONES!"

As I arrived on scene, I was pleased to find that in fact they had waited on me to pick anything. Why? Because; "mmmommmmyyy...something is buzzing down in there"

June Bugs were having an evening snack, after I convinced them that the large green bugs would not sting, bite, eat or in any other way harm them, they were picking berries like there was no tomorrow.



All was well in berry land...until..........

Cameron found the defense mechanism that God put in place for blackberries; thorns. (no, that is not blood on his shirt, that is a smashed blackberry) After this unfortunate incident, the berry picking was over as he wailed all the way back to the house for a Batman band-aid. As you know, Batman band-aids cure everything.

We did manage to pick some berries before the great thorn incident, here is our haul for tonight. There are still a lot of pink berries that will soon be ripe, we will attempt to get them another day.


No comments: