Thursday, November 13, 2008

First Time Out

As Olivia traverses her second year, her sense of "self" is ever evolving. She has learned that certain words, phrases and tones get laughs, some get the "mama look". Also that some actions get chuckles and some get her in trouble.



She is still learning what "trouble" is .



Last Sunday she was the center of attention, her favorite place to be. She repeatedly made a grand entrance from the hall into the living room to of the claps of our family. She then would proceed to prance through the living room, while her captive audience would say "come see me Olivia" "Olivia, come over here and talk to me". She would cut her eyes sharply, and give a coy little grin and in her sweet, two year old, sing-songy voice say "noooooo"



This scene repeated its self over several times, much to her delight.



However...........



A few days later she was watching "Super Why" (on PBS...what you do not know what Super Why is? You have not lived.....) While watching her favorite show, she began to empty the clean sock basket one sock at a time. (yes, clean sock basket....we have it because her mother hates to fold socks and leaves them for last...don't look at me that way....you come fold them then....yeah...didn't think so) As I gently redirected her to please pick them up and put them back in the basket, she said "NO!" I took a deep cleansing breath and silently reminded myself that she is two. Again I said, "Olivia, pick them up and put them back in the basket" At which point she furrowed her eye brows at me, picked up the edge of the basket and dumped them all in the floor and then threw the basket.



*deep breath....deep breath*



I once again, calmly told her that was not a nice thing to do, and told her to pick the socks up.





She threw the basket at me.



As I felt my blood pressure rise into my face, I introduced her to "time out" Was it for me or her? I am not sure.....but she sat there for two minutes (one for each year of her life) and then picked up the socks.

I can not help it...she is cute, even when she is in trouble.

No comments: